|London scared when she discovers she is poor|
|Originally Aired:||July 22, 2005|
"Poor Little Rich Girl" is the 13th episode of the first season of The Suite Life of Zack & Cody. As a result of London's father going broke, the bank has to seize all of the Tiptons' assets, notably including London's clothes, pictures, and so on. Because she can no longer stay in her suite, she has to stay with Maddie. Meanwhile, in an old video (days after the twins were born), Carey mixes them up them, and Zack and Cody think they are the other twin, adopting each other's personality until they get confirmation of their identity from the hospital.
London discovers her father has gone bankrupt when he accidentally over-invested in a diamond mine that turned out to be diamond-less. With nowhere else for her to go, Maddie reluctantly lets London move into her family's apartment (which is next to Fenway Park).
Maddie helps London begin to learn "regular people" skills, including finding a job. She suggests that London babysits for Zack and Cody. While sitting, she nearly burns down the suite while trying to make grilled cheese (as she didn't use bread or take the plastic off of the slices of cheese).
During her "poor" life, London discovers things she had never experienced when she was rich, such as peanut butter, sleepovers, making a bed herself, and especially the value of family and a good friend. But soon, her father strikes oil in his diamond-less diamond mine, and she's rich again. London still recognizes that Maddie was the only friend who didn't abandon her when she didn't have money, and they confirm that they are friends.
Meanwhile, the twins find a videotape in which their mother temporarily mixes them up when they were babies. Cody thinks he might be Zack, and Zack thinks he might be Cody. While they challenge Carey, they also start acting like each other. Carey eventually resolves the matter by having their birth certificates sent to the hotel from the hospital and identifying them by their footprints. Zack and Cody have been living under their correct names all this time, and they return to normal.
- Cody: So, if I'm Zack and I don't like cheese, does that mean you're the one who likes ham?
- Zack: No, we both like ham.
- Cody: Then who likes liverwurst?
- Zack: No one.
- Cody: Then why do they make it?
- Zack: (about Cody) He's been acting like me all day. He came on to all the girls at school, wised off to the teachers, and now he wants to copy off my homework.
- Carey: That's terrible.
- Zack: I know. It means that I have to do my own homework.
- Zack: I can't believe that I might be Cody!
- Cody: Well, what's wrong with being Cody?
- Zack: For starters, look how you're dressed.
- Mr. Moseby: For now, your father has to stay incognito.
- London: Where's "cognito?"
- Mr. Moseby: In hiding.
- London: Where's "hiding?"
- London: Just because I don't have any money, the bank stops being nice to me?
- Mr. Moseby: Shocking, isn't it?
- Maddie: I'm sorry, London. I wish there was something I could do to help.
- London: Can you give me $50,000,000?
- Maddie: I'll go check my piggy bank.
- Zack: London, you might want to take a look at the front page!
- London: Not now, London's reading about London.
- Cody: And you might want this back. (hands her the five dollar bill she gave him)
- London: Why? (Muriel takes the newspaper from her and shows her the front page)
- Muriel: ’Cause you’re broke!
- London: AAAAAAAAAH!
- London: It's the least I can do. I mean, you took me when no one else would. You like me for rich or poor, for better and for worse, in sickness and—
- Maddie: (interrupts) We're not married, London.
- When Zack and Cody were still babies their parents sometimes mix them up.
- It is shown that London never ate dinner with her parents.
- London reads the paper headline, even though it's been established many times that she's illiterate. However, she probably could tell what the headline said by looking at the photo and what Muriel said.
- Zack and Cody's dad, Kurt, is heard on the videotape, but he doesn't actually make his first physical appearance until Dad's Back, 7 episodes later.